I had my 17" MacBook Pro in recently for a hard drive exchange, which I picked
up a couple of days back.

The repairer alluded to a couple of other parts which were found defective, and
presumably fixed or replaced, still waiting for clarification on that, however
I'm guessing something may be wrong with the Mac's Power Management System. The
hard drive seems to run at full speed all of the time, and this morning, I
disconnected it from the mains, shut the lid, and without using it further
about 3 hours later the battery power had reduced from 100% to around 20%, then
reduced further despite the lid being shut.

Any suggestion on what I could do to try a quick fix? I'm loathe to go through
the whole back up and recovery process again, which I would need to do if I
left it with the service centre.

It's running 10.6.3, all updates installed.

Cheers, Steven