Hi Jon

I've also used (and installed) lots of Western Digital drives and they all
work well. (Probably close to over a hundred drives easily over the last 2-3
years) And I also use about 7+ Western Digital drives here. All work well.

I would try formatting it in Disk Utility and see how it goes. If still the
same you can try a zero all data/low level format will sometimes wipe out
any bad sectors as well. (Just takes a while).

2. Try Repairing Permissions. Does it still on a particular part of the
update? You could try downloading them manually from here
<http://support.apple.com/downloads/> and then see which ones install and
which ones stop. You may then have to remove it from /Receipts and work out
which (and why) one is stopping.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards
Daniel

On 24/7/10 1:05 PM, "Vladimir James" <ink...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> No problems here. Have been using a pair of WD 1 TB for the last year without
> hassles.
>
> Vlad James
>
> On 24/07/2010, at 11:32 AM, Jon Davison wrote:
>

>> Hi everyone. I have two problems, as usual. So I would welcome any
>> suggestions here;
>>
>> 1. Has anyone had any problems with these 1TB WD drives? mine has always done
>> odd things, like crash, freeze the system etc. So now I have wiped the drive
>> in TechTool Pro 4.
>> After getting info, I find this;
>>
>> Capacity: 931.39 GB
>> Available: 513.2 GB
>> Used: 418.19 GB
>>
>> The drive is empty (well it appears so) so am just wondering what is taking
>> up this space? I tried to verify and/or repair in Disk Utility but it says
>> that it cannot unmount the drive.
>> So not sure what is happening. I wanted to erase and reformat the drive to
>> see if it can still be used, but it appears there may be a problem at the
>> root level?
>> Any clues re the above drive?
>>
>> My system is;
>> MacPro 2 x 2.66 GHz dual/2GB/1TB/10.5.1
>>
>> 2. I cannot update the OS software or any other on the above machine. It just
>> stalls, I can wait all day and it does nothing.
>>

>> ps; Thank you Bob for taking the time to look at my 2 x G5's with the RAM
>> problem. The cases are now happy in their new incarnation as letter boxes!
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jon

---
Daniel Kerr