the WD drives have a nasty feature called sleep & that's what they like to do, if there is no acces within a few minutes after the last access then the drive goes to sleep & depending on the firewire setup you may not be able to wake it up i have 2 WD books which behave in that way, but if its at sleep & i click onto a file in it (window opened before sleep) then it takes approx 10s to get a response, if i'm correct the included software should be able to change the sleep settings, i don't dare to install the wd software on a allready partially filled drive, so i'm not sure if that works
James