I've had several HDD digital TV set-top boxes in past years but I've found an
EyeTV-equipped Mac connected to a big screen to be far superior even for simple
recording schedules, let alone all the other features (Note that AppleTV won't
do any off-air TV recording so none of this is possible with that box).  Here's
just a few reasons:

- SmartGuides in EyeTV for example are far superior to time and date scheduling
as you just type in a keyword like "David Attenborough" or "science fiction" or
"sbs news" and it will automatically record every documentary or movie that has
that name in either the title or the paragraph description or type that
accompanies every show in the Electronic Program Guide.  Priceless,
particularly when broadcasters move shows around or cancel or start them back
up with little notice.  I must have 30 or more smart guides for all sorts of
shows and categories on my TV iMac.  Smart Guides also allow you to enter
complex criteria to weed out duplicates on HD channels etc if you want to get
fancy.  Smartguides can also be set to only keep a set number of a particular
show, so we always have the last two days worth of the Ten, ABC, SBS and Nine
evening news sitting on our Mac ready to watch if we so wish.

- Exporting to iPod format means I have been able to build up a large library
of movies, docos, Playschool (yes we have a toddler) and other recordings on a
separate hard drive array that take up far less room than the huge MPEG-2 files
that come down straight from the broadcaster and which fill the HDDs of set top
boxes far too quickly.  Of course, these can also easily be synched with your
iPhone etc since they are already on the Mac - no disc burning or complex file
transfers needed.

- MUCH friendlier user interface - Using the built-in scheduling interfaces of
most set-top boxes in my experience can be a very frustrating, cramped,
limiting experience trying to enter data from a stupidly complex remote
control.  Instead being able to use a wireless mouse and Apple's excellent
Bluetooth keyboard is SO much easier, there is no comparison.

- If you need to record more than just one or two channels simultaneously,
adding extra EyeTV receivers is an exercise in simplicity - plug it in a spare
USB port, connect the antenna and voila! an extra TV channel.  I've had 4 or
more EyeTV units running on our lounge room iMac in the past allowing me to
view and/or record up to that many channels simultaneously, all appearing in
separate windows on the 50" Plasma.  Picture-in-Picture eat your heart out.  :-)

- Cost.  If you already have a useable Mac, an EyTV DTT USB receiver can be as
cheap as $120.  Maybe add a nice big external hard disk for your Mac and it is
still cheaper than a decent set-top box.  If you do need to buy a Mac Mini, the
extra expense is usually worth it considering all of the computer-based things
you can then also do on the big Plasma screen.

Having such a large library of up-to-the minute pre-recorded shows means we
never watch live TV so we don't sit there wasting our time with ads or shows we
aren't really interested in.  As a result we actually watch less TV than we
ever did before because we only watch exactly what is interesting, we are not
slaves to the TV schedule, we skip all the ads and when a recording finishes,
we have to make the conscious decision to double-click another recording rather
than sitting there in a vegetative state watching one bit of TV flotsam flow
into another.

IMHO of course.   :-)

-Mart

Martin Hill