On 19/08/2010, at 8:01 AM, Peter Hinchliffe wrote:

> On 18/08/2010, at 8:44 PM, Marlene Oostryck wrote:
>
>> Hi All
>>
>> Somehow, while working clearing out some duplicate photos in iPhoto 09 I
>> managed to "lose" 18,000 photos (my whole iPhoto Library).
>>
>> iPhoto would not open and asked "What photo library do you want iPhoto to
>> use?  When I looked in "Pictures" it was blank!   Major Panic!
>> Luckily I was able to restore all through Time Machine and My Book WD
>> external drive. It appears that all has been restored.
>> (I have also since found my "iPhoto Library" in the iPhoto trash!!!!)
>>
>> Reading the threads for "iPhoto error 9459" I see there were additional
>> instructions to rebuild the iPhoto Library.
>>
>> Do I need to do anything extra to my restored iPhoto Library?
>>
>> Any info would be appreciated.
>>
>> Many thanks.
>>

> You're already doing the best thing you can do by running Time Machine. It is
> precisely events like this that justify Time Machine's existence. Who knows
> what happened to cause the problem? Most computing disasters happen while
> we're not watching, and repetitive activities such as your manual cleanup
> activity are particularly prone to mishaps of this kind. I speak from
> experience here! The fact that the iPhoto Library accounts for the fact that
> iPhoto couldn't find it, and points to a possible keystroke accident while in
> the wrong screen. I will say that one of the first places I investigate after
> a computer disaster like this is the Trash folder.
>
> In addition to Time Machine, you might want to look around for some good
> iPhoto Library maintenance software, something that will sort out duplicates
> for you. I don't have any recommendations unfortunately, but I'm sure others
> will.

Hi Marlene,

How did you do your clearing out the duplicates within the iPhoto Application?
You didn't touch the iPhoto Library in Finder (~/Pictures/iPhoto Library)?

I would think you have as Peter suggest done a keystroke combination or such to
move all the library photos to the Trash.
If you have emptied iPhoto’s trash (note, iPhoto’s own trash, not the system
trash); then it depends on whether you imported the photos directly into
iPhoto, straight from the camera, or if they were already in other folder(s)
before importing. In the latter case, and assuming you have not deleted the
original folder(s), the photos will still be there.

iPhoto detects duplicates of photos you have already imported from your camera
and asks you if you want to skip those duplicates on importing.

But when the duplicated photos are already in iPhoto “Duplicate Annihilator “
is the best app to use to find & delete the duplicates.

Duplicate Annihilator  <http://www.brattoo.com/propaganda/> is a good
application for finding and deleting duplicate photos in iPhoto.
Requirements
        • Mac OS X 10.4.x, 10.5.x or 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
        • iPhoto 5, 6, 7(iLife'08) or 8(iLife'09)

17" MacBook Pro  Intel Core i7
2.66GHz / 4GB / 1067 MHz DDR3 / 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200rpm

OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)