Laura, this doesn't answer your calculator problem, but using the Unit
Converter widget alongside your calculator might be easier in the sense that
exchange rates are accessed each inquiry, therefore no need to manually look up
and amend exchange rates.

The Unit Converter widget is amongst those which come preinstalled on your Mac.

Cheers, Steven