yes you still have to do that......
apple has not yet indroduced the "i-vacuum"

but it's fact if you run a motor (your vacuum cleaner) then you can expect spiking or high frequency noise on the mains which then disrupts the rf link (you internet through power line system) thus average speed on the link drops but on switching off the motor the speed should rise again
another thing can be
the mains comes in on 3 lines if you have 1 modem on the line1 power section & the other modem on the line2 section that aswell can affect the overall performance,
 James