Afternoon,

Domain Server Compatibility:-
OS X server does not support Windows 7 at all as per Apple information release
MacWindows: Apple, MS, say Win 7 client can't join OS X Server PDC Domain
But some have made it work others have not. I have no success yet utilising PDC
in SMB, but Samba can be configured to work with many other Linux alternatives
ClearOS, eBox/Zentyal and the usual binaries...ClearOS Firewall/Gateway here
excepts Win7 as PDC, which I can then authorise against OS X server.

WinXP has no issues with any at all. Everything works in XP without fault
somewhere somehow, and I still use within MacBook Pro.

So in a OS X environment check with Admins, if Windows environment again check,
but would suggest Windows 7.
I find Win 7 works great on all Mac Intel machines especially latest offerings,
remember to install Bootcamp from OS X install disk once Windows installed.
This updates system and makes Windows OS X keyboard and other machine
compatible. This same for WinXP also.

Windows 7 is available as a Academic offering for $49, but will need a previous
version of windows installed, email of list. WinXp also has some deals again
email.
There are some companies that have not released Win7 Drivers or plug-ins so
check all devices planning on using; especially phones for tethering and ADSL
modems.

64bit or 32bit both work on Mac Intel lots of memory on machine go 64Bit, but
maybe a few more hassles with drivers and overall compatibility on Macs usually
not issue, BUT.

Avoid VISTA

Windows XP will be supported by Microsoft for sometime yet, but only Service
Pack 3 and beyond.

Professional version for all offerings as it offers the network connectivity.

Cheers!
`RobD...