It's funny but I had similar problems after updating to 10.6.4.  It was a hard
drive error. Took it to the genius bar and was informed that it was a hard
drive issue. Went home, looked for hd replacement on YouTube and less than 2
hours later had the machine going again. Worth the 15 minute visit to the apple
store after 7pm ( easier to find parking)
Peter

Sent from my iPhone