Hi Alastair,

I would increase your RAM for a start, more RAM helps speed things up, 8GB is
good ;-)

PS & PS Elements use 'scratch disk'. If you had another internal drive on your
computer you could designate a separate disk as the scratch disk.
Your scratch disk needs to be as fast as the drive PS or PS Elements is
installed on or there's no point in setting up a special scratch disk.

If you had a USB External Drive, for example, forget it ---- USB isn't fast
enough, even USB 2.0, so leave your main drive as your scratch disk.
A Firewire 800 External Drive would be fast enough I would imagine, but perhaps
not a Firewire 400 because the transfer limitations don't allow much
performance improvement.

I can perhaps see a problem with using an external drive, if say PS crashed
while writing to the 'scratch disk' … hmmm, I would need to do some research on
this before I could comment further.