I should have also added this link:
<http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Safe+Mode>
which explains safe mode better.

Hi John,

Check out this MozillaZine article on Firefox crashes:
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_crashes>

Assuming you have already checked that you are running the latest Firefox
version that is compatible with your hardware/software, then if Firefox is
crashing as soon as you try and open it, start in Firefox Safe Mode
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode> , which disables all extensions, to
help determine if an extension is causing the problem.

There is more info and linked info contained in the article.

Cheers

Neil
--
Neil R. Houghton