On 19/01/2011, at 12:15 PM, Adrian Skehan wrote:

> Good morning all,
>
> Having had an intermittent but ongoing internet problem and been totally
> frustrated with bigpond it appears that my next course of action is to try
> another modem.  Th background of the problem is that I frequently (during any
> given day) the internet drops out for 30 seconds to 10 minutes or sometimes
> mush longer the comes on again without any intervention, this occurs
> simultaneously on all 3 iMacs, MacBook Pro and my windows clunker which are
> all connected wirelessly a Thompson TG782T modem.  BigPond support are saying
> that there is something wrong in the modem as they cant find anything on
> their side and cant argue against all my equipment having the same problem.
> At this stage I am desperate enough go get a new modem so any suggestions as
> to make, model and supplier will be greatly appreciated.

Adrian,

You might be interested in my fruitless exchanges with BigPond on much the same
matter.

Vlad James
ink...@bigpond.com
wireless (NetComm 3G21WB)
27" iMac 2.8 GHz i5 8GB
OS X 10.6.6

------------------------------ Final reply to BigPond 15 December 2010
-----------------------

This reply looks to me like a form-letter, plucked from BigPond's vast supply.
It does not deal with the problem described. The drop-outs are variable. They
tend to occur during traffic peaks. There are no "basements, lifts, underground
car parks  and large buildings" involved. It seems most likely that BP's
servers are not adequately coping.

On the matter of external antennas: When I subcribed to BP's wireless BB, I was
obliged to spend more than $200 for the modem of the day. It provided an
antiquated, but more reliable, connection than I presently have. Then, with
BP's promise of more efficiency and speed, I spent another large sum to install
the present NetComm 3G21WB. The improvement in connectivity was small and more
or less cancelled out by the increased number of drop-outs. Now, BP is advising
me to spend yet more money on an antenna. Well, I have lost faith in BP's
recommendations, especially those in form-letters that look like they were
designed more to improve BP's profits than anything else. The way BP's servers
are coping with traffic, I see little likelihood of improved connectivity, even
with the Eiffel Tower installed as my antenna.

Vladimir James