Thanks to all for the advice etc.  I have dug up my old EtherNet NetComm NB1300
Plus 4 and connected to that.  I was hoping that I could have them both
connected to the internet at the same time (with the computers AirPort turned
off) to see what happened but the Thompson would not connect at all.  So I
guess that its either dead or you can only have one connected at a time to the
same ISP and I am too peed off to do any further fault finding.  So fat the old
NetComm has not faulted.

Regards,

Adrian
adrianske...@me.com