Interesting discussion.

I could theoretically get away with not having an optical drive in my MBP,
and only use a lightweight external drive for installing software and
possibly playing movies. Maybe software will be delivered on flash media in
future, maybe via the Internet. Perhaps a subscription to the cloud only for
the apps you need?

However..I can't see optical disks being phased out anytime soon although I
think that is Apple's desire. The move is toward a model of purchasing
everything through the iTunes store, and having everything digital and maybe
in the cloud. I'm a bit dubious about the intention, only for the same
reason I didn't like Internet Explorer being a core part of the Windows OS,
and why I don't like the idea of going to Woolies to buy my milk, bread,
motor oil, 4" x 2" timber, phones and everything else.

As and aside, in 1995 (when I worked for WA News) I went to a digital
conference in Dallas, where the consensus was that by 2005, newspapers would
be dead, that all news would be online and that people would read news on a
small pocket sized screen. It's now 2011 and while the predictions were
reasonable accurate, a cultural change can take longer than we think, even
if the technology is capable. There will always be the nerds and gadget
freaks who will take it up first, but the general population will always
take longer. When it does go, it goes quick and so much so you almost don't
notice (eg Vinyl Records -> CDs) Consider how long it has taken the humble
3.5" floppy drive to not be part of a standard (non-Apple) computer. Up
until recently, I still had to have a floppy disk with storage controller
drivers for 2003 Server installations!

So you *may* be right and only time will tell. I think it will take longer
than 5 years for the demise of the Optical Drive.

Cheers,
Stuart

On 26/02/11 2:57 PM, "cm" <cm200...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> standard is now rated at 10 GB per second over copper wire - that is one
> double sided DVD per second. Imagine how fast the drive would have to spin to
> achieve that throughput. The plastic would likely fly apart. Thunderbolt is on
> it's way to 100 GB per second over optical cable.
>
> As an example I yesterday downloaded Lion from the Mac App Store. At pre
> national broadband speeds, it took an hour, but I didn't have to pay $10 and
> wait two weeks for a DVD to come from California or Asia.
>
> We will likely migrate to a single drive somewhere in the house for legacy
> items ‹ I'm already there. And soon after a CD drive will be a curiosity for
> audio buffs and Mac service guys. :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Carlo
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 26/02/2011, at 14:24, Ronda Brown <ro...@mac.com> wrote:

>>> Hi Ronni
>>>
>>> Yeh, I'm a bit the same with the Optical Drive.
>>> I've done a few with clients where I replaced the Optical drive with an SSD
>>> drive in that bay. (ie they had 2 2.5" drives but no burner). And they
>>> didn't miss it. Mind you, in the environment they are in, they have a USB
>>> Burner they can "share" and lots of computers for "Remote Disc" usage.
>>> I suppose as long as you've got one computer with an Optical Drive it would
>>> be ok. But for a laptop out on the road, I sometimes think you still need
>>> the Optical Drive.
>>> Hence I'm still 50/50 on it,..lol.
>>> But what will be will be. :o)
>>>
>>> I just installed CS5 Standard Design Edition and Adobe Acrobat for a client
>>> to a 17" MacBookPro, and that was 2 DVD's. So wouldn't want to have
>>> downloaded all that off the internet!
>>> But I guess, as I said it my other post on this (I think). If that was
>>> supplied on a 16GB "security locked" USB Flash Drive so it couldn't be
>>> erased then yes, wouldn't need an Optical Drive.
>>>
>>> Could be just as good. Mass marketed "Adobe" logoed USB drives with the
>>> software and manual on the 8 or 16GB Flash Drive. Locked so the client can't
>>> erase it and a card with the serial number then that would work.
>>> Smaller box to supply too I would think. Costing for them would work out the
>>> same one would imagine.
>>> So yeh, suppose there's other ways to do it.
>>>
>>> And yes, I agree on the heat! We need a bit of a cold snap I think. (Had
>>> over 4 hours of no power again last night from about 9.30pm to 2am). Sigh.
>>>
>>> Kind Regards
>>> Daniel
>>
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> Yep, I understand. I've been upgrading my MacMini today, you know where it is
>> located under my TV & Entertainment Unit, & how hard it is to get to the back
>> of MM to connect to firewire port & USB ports. I say bad words everytime I
>> have to unplug an EyeTV unit or Firewire Drive from it.
>>
>> So easy to just slot the Discs into the Optical Drive on the front ;-)

Stuart Evans
T4 Technology

ALBANY
Shop 6, 69 Lockyer Avenue, Albany, WA, 6330
E> stuart.ev...@t4.com.au

BUNBURY
Unit 2/14 Rose Street, Bunbury, WA, 6230

P PLEASE CONSIDER THE ENVIRONMENT BEFORE YOU PRINT THIS E-MAIL
_________________________

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: DISCLAIMER

confidential or legally privileged
information or both. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by
any mis-transmission. If you receive
this correspondence in error, please immediately delete it from your system
and notify the sender. You must
not disclose, copy or rely on any part of this correspondence if you are not
the intended recipient.

Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,
except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the opinions of T4 Technology.

Neither the sender nor T4 Technology warrants that any communication via the
Internet is free of errors, viruses,
interception or  interference. T4 Technology disclaims all liability and
responsibility for any direct or indirect loss
arising from this electronic mail and any attachments. Information is
distributed without warranties of any kind.