Hi Adrian,

As Peter has mentioned, we need to know what OS your are running.
Also is the iMac an Intel or older PPC?

On 10/03/2011, at 8:30 AM, Peter Hinchliffe wrote:

> On 10/03/2011, at 7:01 AM, Adrian Stevens wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I have finally bought my first iMac! I am pretty familiar with the Mac
>> anatomy but is there any smart tips or shortcuts I might need?
>>
>> Also, if there are any apps or programs that manage homework that would be
>> great (just started high school)
>>
>> And I promise, no more windows questions!
>>
>> I have 2 problems (I know, "thats not like mac!!!"):
>>
>> I have a HP deskjet all-in-one F370 printer (also with scanner and copier).
>> My mac will recognise it as a printer but not a scanner! I have tried
>> downloading drivers,  but all it says is "CANNNOT CONNECT TO PRINTER".
>
> What version of Mac OS X are you running? HP seem to have all the current
> drivers (v 10.3) for this device available for Snow Leopard. There may be
> issues with earlier versions. Perhaps someone who has one of these units may
> be able to help.
>
>> My external HDD can be viewed on the mac, but cannot be edited, written over
>> or changed!
>>

> This s most likely because your external drive is probably formatted as NTFS.
> Current versions of Mac OS X can only read NTFS -formatted volumes, but
> cannot write to them without extra help. There are several shareware
> solutions to the problem available. If you Google "ntfs on mac os x" you will
> come up with some answers. You can also go to www.macupdate.com and search
> for "NTFS". One of the more popular choices (and free!) is MacFUSE, but there
> may be better options as well.

If you are only going to use this external drive on a Mac, you need to format
it Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and depending whether it is an Intel or a
PowerPC.
 GUID Partition Table - for bootability on Intel-based Macs
 Apple Partition Map - for bootability on PowerPC-based Macs

If you wish I can send you “offlist” my Tutorial showing you how to re-format
the drive correctly.
It has screen shots so you can follow the instructions easily.

17" MacBook Pro  Intel Core i7
2.66GHz / 8GB / 1067 MHz DDR3 / 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200rpm

OS X 10.6.6 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)