Hi,

The best evidence is that there is no collection of data at all by anyone.
That's right, this data is not being collected and it may not be legal in some
US states to do so. Despite the claims of the two, so called, data scientists,
(who are really just developers seeking publicity and who plagiarised the
research from articles published months before), the data is being cached in a
file on your phone and backed up to you computer. This file is not accessible
to others unless you are in the habit of allowing strangers to have physical
access to data on your phone or your computer, in which case you already have
serious privacy breaches.

The article posted by Reg is worth reading with attention. I'll post it again
for easy access:
https://alexlevinson.wordpress.com/2011/04/21/3-major-issues-with-the-latest-iphone-tracking-discovery/

I do suspect that the file is used in some sort of calculation for an operating
system function and due to developer inattention, it was not deleted or
periodically purged. Apple obviously does not need this file as it is present
in another from in earlier version of iOS.

As for the claim that the iPhone tracks your every move, this is also a
fabrication. I looked with interest at the data on my own phone and apart from
being quite inaccurate, it has long gaps in it. I personally was happy to find
the file as I though it would be interesting to see where I had been for the
last six months or so since iOS 4 come out, but unfortunately the information
is so sparse as to be almost worthless. It does show I was out and about in
Perth, Fremantle and Kalamunda -- due to my cycling -- but it is so inaccurate
that I appear to have spent a significant amount of time swimming across the
river.

Apple will no doubt need to explain the presence of the file just to quell the
public concerns and will likely put in place a option to purge the file or will
do so automatically. I am curious to learn why the file was created by I will
leave my tin-foil hat in the drawer for now.

Cheers,
Carlo