On 26/04/2011, at 3:37 PM, peta wrote:

> Many thanks to all who replied to my query.
>
> This is the first time I have had problems although I have been using the USB
> sticks for years and years - and have never formatted them.
>
> My daughter who has recently acquired her first Mac told me recently that she
> had had similar problems trying to transfer her photos in bulk from her old
> Windows PC to her Mac, and cannot now transfer any info from her USB stick
> onto her Mac, nor open it on her old Windows.
>
> So the photos seem to be locked onto her USB stick : permanently?  Any
> suggestions how to retrieve the photos from this USB stick?
>
> So, from now on I will need to format my USB stick AND empty my trash and
> then eject my stick from the Mac.
>
> Ho hum, one step forward ...
>
> Regards
>
> Peta

You might like to have a look at Photo Rescue, an application designed
precisely for the situation you describe. I have used is successfully in the
past to recover photos from an unresponsive USB Drive.

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/v3/index.htm

The way Mac OS X works, a special invisible folder called ".trashes" is created
on each separate volume you access, and is specific to files on that volume.
For this reason, it often happens that when you think your trash is empty, then
plug in a USB Drive, you might find that your trash is no longer empty. This is
because Mac OS X is accessing the .trashes folder on that drive. Formatting the
USB Drive should remove this invisible folder, so there shouldn't be any need
to format the USB stick AND empty the trash.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948