Afternoon,

I agree with Robin it is not a DNS issue, as the technician would have checked
for this in his fault diagnosis.
Last Post to List, I can make your DNS PING response of 2-3ms  if on iiNet
ADSL1 or above.

It simply is a congestion issue, and I still believe it is happening in his
abode or damn close.

Pair Gaining...
RIM
Family members on Network, at same time.
Trojan/Malware program (unlikely, but never know)
Phishing Attacks.
Virus Scanners.
Software Updates.
Background programs.
This one I found out about other day on someones iPhone4 constantly downloading
@ 4.5 - 6 mbits.
Causing some grief on WiFi networks monitoring servers. Updating Videos within
MLB app when it enters WiFi domain.
Crossed Line, although technician should have noticed.
etc....

To repeat myself again ADSL does not fade out to the degree John is mentioning,
then resume to previous levels without  a reset.
Yes servers do take a hit, but mainly to the tune of 50-60kb, but this again
could be site you are visiting.

AN ADSL CONNECTION WILL MAINTAIN ITS CONNECTION SPEED TO EXCHANGE, give or take
10%.
Activity from servers after exchange is pending on Bandwidth to Server, then
its bandwidth coming back.

These are reasons why I was questioning John, and asking for Activity on
Machine.
Then the most important part where are you monitoring your speed test from?
Same with PING test, try using UWA NTP servers for a consistent measuring stick.

Cheers!
`RobD...