You win Carlo.

Cheers

Rod :)
 On Jul 11, 2011 2:19 PM, "cm" <cm200...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Rod,
>
> I have no reason to doubt what Andy Rubin said on that occasion -- in
particular the "crappy experiences", but a platform cannot be both open and
closed at the same time. Part of the so-called freedom of open software is
that users and companies can take the software in whatever direction they
choose. Google is not ready for that to happen so for the present at least
the software is not open.

> When you say Apple fanatics what do you mean exactly? Do mean that all
users of Apple products are deluded in some fashion into believing that they
are using quality software? It's strange that Apple's competitors seem to be
fanatics as well as the phone and table offerings are mostly following
behind Apple's lead as fast as their production teams can copy them. Have a
look at smartphones before the iPhone and have a look at smartphones now.
You can do the same for tablets -- which weren't even a popular category of
product before the iPad.

> As for WebOS, when you say "over all the mobile platforms", I hope you
mean over all your mobile platforms as I am quite happy with iOS.

> Cheers,
> Carlo
>
> On 2011-07-11, at 13:52, Rod Lavington wrote:
>
>> So this quote from the second article:
>>
>> "Android boss Andy Rubin says Honeycomb is not ready for phones. If
Google were to open it up to the world at large, it could end up on
smartphones and users might end up with some crappy experiences."

>> does not suggest that Google are keeping Honeycomb closed shop for a
reason, other than not keeping it open? So, Apple fanatics believe
everything that comes out of Cupertino as gospel, yet don't believe the head
of Google's Android division.....

>> Anyhoo, the issue is more about the security of social networks, not
about one particular platform's misgivings :)

>> Personally, I would use WebOS over all the mobile platforms in a
heartbeat. Alas, its not available in Australia (yet)

>> Seeya
>>
>> Rod
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 1:24 PM, cm <cm200...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Rod,
>>
>> I agree that Google does needs to do something as the Android platform
fragmentation and security is woeful. I just think that many Android
supporters don't see the contradiction when they complain that Apple is
keeping the iPhone closed and that it should be open like Android, when the
reality is that Google is now trying to imitate the success of the iPhone by
taking more control. The second article is purely factual about the closing
of the Honeycomb source code and makes no value judgements. The first
article is more interesting in that there are a number of levers that Google
uses to keep control of the platform that most Android users are not even
aware of.

>> Cheers,
>> Carlo
>>
>> On 2011-07-11, at 13:09, Rod Lavington wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Carlo,
>>>
>>> Have to take issue with the second article. Anyone that has followed
Android through its many versions will understand why Google don't want to
open up Honeycomb. Ice Cream Sandwich is on target to be released later on
this year, that will reunite both the phone and tablet OS versions of
Android (Gingerbread and Honeycomb). I'd say Google let a handful of top
manufacturer's release Honeycomb tablets to keep Android out there, but will
let everyone use Ice Cream Sandwich when available later on this year. And
considering the woeful fragmentation over the different Android models, I
can understand why Google wants to put the brakes on a bit!

>>> I think HP with WebOS has the right mix of user interaction with code
(through the Homebrewers) and keeping the rest of the code strictly HP only.
No need for jailbreaking, and you can root the phone and unroot through the
developers menu. Too bad nobody uses them ;)

>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Rod!
>>>

>>> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 12:49 PM, cm <cm200...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Reg,
>>>
>>> I think your son is wise to question. I am not sure of the connection
between left wing and Android, but maybe your son would like to look at
these articles about the control that Google exerts over the Android
platform while loudly claiming that it is free and open.

http://www.asbigo.com/motorola/skyhook-filings-detail-googles-tight-control-of-android-platform/

>>> http://www.businessinsider.com/google-honeycomb-open-2011-3
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Carlo

multinationals and security 'terrorists'. Where possible he would use
android and linux!

only because he has invited me to join Google+, and I'm not keen on it. I am
on Facebook and took a lot of time screwing down its security to protect me
and my family and friends as much as possible.

foray into Myspace still presents me with spurious young ladies wishing to
make my acquaintance - not!.