Having the same problem, as Peter with Safari and PDF's, even though I do not
have Lion installed; I followed Ronni's path. however I found I never had
"plug-ins" in either in the HD library OR Home library.
Solved the problem with a great PDF utility from:-
www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf
This is free if private or education users. Also allows Safari in 64bit mode.
Hope this is helpful
Darrel