I'm currently traveling along the eastern seaboard of America.
I have been to three apple stores on Manhattan, two apple stores in Boston,
some of these on multiple days.
You can purchase a 13" i7 MBA from the apple store, if they have one in stock.
None of the stores I have been in have had that model or the other top model of
the MBA for purchase.

Last night I tried in Philadelphia, no luck.
So the wait on the online ordering isn't any different than shopping in the
store.

robin