OK... my dilemma is as follows - I Spoke to Apple directly. Apparently
i am 'outside' warranty/replacement period for the TC by a few
weeks... they have offered a small discount for purchasing a new
product, but nothing else. The apple-shop I purchased it from was even
less helpful... (but i only spoke to a low level sale assistant as the
manager was not in)

While the TC worked it was amazing - it 'rescued' data on a number of
occasions, we networked and backed up from all our home laptops/PCs
and it was simple, easy to use and very reassuring...

What I am not clear about now is:
Can I retrieve our data from the TC?
Is the TC repairable?
Would I be insane to consider buying another TC?
Is the current generation of TC sorted, or is the previous fault an
inherent design issue?
Am I better off to buy a different external hard-drive system?

Help!

Stephanie