After working just fine since the version was released, Skype 5.3 suddenly
starting quitting on me, and failing to relaunch (quits each time it tries to
launch) on 10.7.1.

I've repaired preferences, restarted Mac, to no avail. Found one suggested
remedy on the web, being to trash ~Library > Application Support > Skype >
shared.xml then relaunch Skype, but that doesn't work.

Downloaded 5.4 beta in case that solved the problem - nope.

Another suggestion was to revert to an older version of Skype, so I've done
that for now, going back in time to 2.8. This older version launches without
quitting at least, but hardly a good solution.

A clue may be that I was trying to launch Fetch 5.6 around the same time, and
Fetch wasn't launching properly either. That problem solved with a reboot of
the Mac.

Anybody had the same problem and found a fix?

Cheers, Steven