Thanks Ronni. That one I've tried. EVen tried twice, ie. reinstalled 5.3, then
when that didn't work installed 5.4 beta over the top of 5.3. With all of that
failing, 2.8 is the bandaid measure.

Maybe I'll try a fresh install AFTER removing the folder ~/Library/Application
Support/Skype, see if it makes a difference, and if so, introduce the folders
and files within ~/Library/Application Support/Skype one by one, see if I can
narrow down to an offender.

Cheers, Steven