On 13/10/2011, at 12:30 AM, Alex wrote:

> Hi Fellow Wamugians
>
> I have allowed my current Canon MX700 series inkjet printer to die,
> probably through my own neglect because I hate the way the ink
> cartridges keep running for a very long time even though they prompt
> you to replace.  Have disliked the scanning function on it anyway as
> it is ssoooo clunky (strange in my mind as I thought Canon were good
> at scanner technology?!)
>
> My question is should I go to Laser MFC over Inkjet MFC.  Not a huge
> user, although random jobs can be big if someone is studying.  Won't
> be connecting the fax function except the occaisional sending (if the
> scanning function is good maybe they will give up on the faxing!).
> Household has a couple Win laptops as well as the usual expanding Mac
> family.
>
> Do the Laser toners also clog up if occaisionally not used for a
> period of time?  Was interested in the Samsung Laser MFC but Ronni
> gave it a bad rap about a year ago so have gone off it.
>
> Anyone have any opinions on the environmental effects from the Laser
> printers (ie in the room)?
>
> Many thanks in advance for your assistance & opinions,
>
> Cheers,  Alex

Hi Alex

Always an interesting argument the Laser versus Inkjet. Definitely the running
costs of a laser will generally be cheaper then that of an inkjet over the same
period of time.
I've supplied both (laser and inkjet) for lots of my clients and use both here.
My personal preference when it comes to printers is Epson and Brother.
I use an Epson laser for pretty much all my main printing and it runs like a
dream. And I've barely had to replace toners at all (and no, they generally
don't clog the same as inkjets do). Unfortunately Epson don't do laser's
anymore. If and when I have to replace it, I would go for a Brother. As
mentioned I've supplied a lot of units to my clients and they just keeping on
going. They're great units.
But for "photo printing" we also have at home a 6 colour inkjet multifunction.
We print something out of that about once a week at least, so the cartridges
"keep moving". Again, it just works. And never had a problems with it.
So it generally comes down to what sort of things you may be printing. If it's
general day to day stuff, then Lasers are great. You pay a bit more upfront but
your running costs are lower. (though this may change,..will get to this in a
second,...).

You also want to consider how it's going to be connected. A lot of units now
are USB and Ethernet, and some also Wi-FI as well. If it's Ethernet then you
can plug it in to your modem/router and every one can see it without it having
to run off just one machine. If it's got Wi-Fi then it only needs a power point
and can sit anywhere in the house. And everyone can have access to it. (great
for some of the Wireless all in one Multifunction units that allow you to print
and scan to any machine, regardless where it's located in the house.

OK,..now as mentioned. Epson have (or about to) bring out a new range of
printer, which they've been working on for a while. It's the "standard" inkjet
printer, but they're saying the running costs for it now are the same or better
(up to 50% better) then that of a Laser. And they're an all in one. So they can
be so interesting choices as well.
Generally if you ever think you want to do photo printing then some of the
inkjets will get better quality. But if it;s "just colour" then a laser is
still great. (And for most things Colour Laser Printing is still very good
quality.

The ranges you can view here:-
Brother -  <http://brother.com.au/products/multi-function_centres.aspx>
(Most all in ones will generally be fairly large units.)
I just sold a client an MFC-9320CW and it works really well. (I did it a bit
cheaper then it's RRP of $929, so they were happy there too....lol)

Epson range - <http://www.epson.com.au/products/multifunctional/>
The new models I mentioned are the Epson WorkForce Pro WP-4540 and WorkForce
Pro WP-4530.

I've been selling both Epson and Brother for about the last 10 years,..and to
be honest I find them very reliable, easy to use and the software great. The
Epson laser I've got sits in the Office and goes to a lower power mode so is
very quiet and just wakes as I need it. I think in the 6+ years I've had i've
had to replace maybe two toners (?) (Black and Blue as I use a lot of blue on
my invoices).

That would be my recommendation anyway :) Printers can be one of those things,
that each has a particular one they like :)

Hope that helps.

Kind regards
Daniel
---