Hi Reg,

I ’think' I had to enter on the iPad & iPhone 4S-teve the 4 digit Passcode to
allow iTunes to ‘Restore to factory settings' and then re-enter the Passcode
again to ‘Restore from Backup of iPad’  - iPhone 4S-teve.

I also was asked for my Apple ID Name & Password a couple of times (but that
was to access MobileMe for the Transfer to iCloud).

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
OS X 10.7 Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)