We have a MacBook which talks to the rest of the world via an Airport Extreme
base station.   When it is started from shutdown connection with the Airport
Extreme is not always established without explicitly selecting it from the
Wi-Fi preferences.  At other times connection is made without intervention.
This does not seem to be locality dependent.  As far as I can see all settings
are as they should be and once connection is made internet, email and
connection to printer are fine with nary a dropout.
Comments appreciated, maybe I am missing something.
Severin Crisp