On 04/01/2012, at 1:49 PM, Severin Crisp wrote:

> I have no record and only long term recollection, probably flawed, but I
> would guess that 250 - 300 cycles is a reasonable estimate of usage.  I
> presume that when I buy an Apple replacement I should make sure it is a 1000
> cycle type.

No. The battery your MacBook uses is only rated for about 300 cycles. The
built-in batteries for the unibody machines are rated for the 1000 cycles.

>  The MacBook is still on Snow Leopard so I can not do the check you suggest.

Yes you can, it’s almost identical to check the battery in Snow Leopard only
difference is in SL it is System Profiler in Lion it is System Report.
Go to About this Mac > More Info > System Profiler
Click on Power (under Hardware) and look at “Charge Information”  & “Health
Information”