Hi James,

This will happen if you have some software running that has crashed and will
not properly Quit at Shutdown.

Do this prior to the next attempt to shutdown:

Open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder.  Select All Processes from the
Processesdropdown menu.
Click twice on the CPU% column header to display in descending order.
If you find a process using a large amount of CPU time, then select the process
and click on the Quit icon in the toolbar.
Click on the Force Quit button to kill the process.

See if that helps.  Be sure to note the name of the runaway process so you can
track down the cause of the problem.

If no process stands out then one at a time select an opened application (one
you started) and try to quit the application via Activity Monitor Quit button.
If you find one that won't quit properly that's the culprit.

Also, open the Console application. Examine the log entries around the time of
the previous attempt to shutdown.
There may be an entry indicating a failed attempt to quit a process.

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.7.3 Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)