Hi Diana,

Are you downloading the PDF in Safari?
Is this only happening with one particular PDF or all PDFs?

Before you reply a couple of things you could try:

Try   ‘Save As’ and see if that allows you to download the PDF.
Right-click or control-click anywhere in the PDF element and select Save PDF
As... from the contextual menu.

What setting do you have in Safari > Preferences > General  ‘Save downloaded
files to': Downloads?
Could be pointing to an invalid directory, try changing it to Desktop & see if
it downloads correctly and can be opened.

If it can you could try changing it back to downloads and see if it works then.