Hi Adrian,

The 4G models include GPS. The "assisted" part refers to the use of the cell
connection to make the localization quicker. However, access to a cell signal
is not required. The built in GPS will work on its own.

It is unfortunate that Apple used the term "assisted GPS". It seems to confuse
a lot of people.
The iPad (1,2 and 3) have a FULLY FUNCTIONAL GPS, and it works extremely well!

As stated above, the "assisted" part refers to it's ability to use the cellular
towers for a quicker initial fix, in some locations.

The New iPad Specifications:
<http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/>