Sorry, I should have said this is on Snow Leopard.  Safari is version 5.1.5 and
is running in 64 bit mode, the Flash Plug-in is version 11.2.202.235, and the
sound is not muted.  And some other videos play just fine!

It finally occurred to me to switch over to the Lion partition, and it works
there - highly amusing, as advertised.

I haven't been using Lion - decided I would wait for Mountain Lion before I
committed to giving up SL.  I only tried Lion because I was interested in
iBooks Author.  Tried that and decided it was too primitive and clunky, and
have gone back to SL and InDesign to carry on with my eBook project.

Thanks very much, Ronni and Carlo,

Pat