I have tried to upgrade a Mac Pro (early 2008 model, MacPro 3, 1) by adding an
SSD to it (Intel 520 series).
The Mac is running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and I do not wish to upgrade it to
Lion.
The idea is to use the SSD as the start-up disk, and I have cloned my existing
start-up disk to it using CarbonCopyCloner (v3.4.5).  All is working reasonably
well, except for one thing.  The Mac will not start up from the SSD when it is
powered up.

It will do so if I use the Start-Up Manager, that is to say holding down the
option key after powering up and then selecting the SSD as the boot disk.  The
machine does not seem to care that the SSD is already selected as the start-up
disk.  It will also boot from the SSD by doing a restart, but not if I power
down the Mac and then start it up again by pressing the power button.  If I try
to do this without holding down the option key either I get a kernel panic, or
else the grey screen with the Apple logo and the spinning gear wheel appears
and the bootup process never gets any further.

I want to be able to set the Mac to start up automatically (from the SSD)
before I get into work in the morning.

The SSD is in SATA drive bay, number 2, and mounted inside an Icy Dock
converter.  I originally had it in number 3, but this seemed to cause problems.
 Bay number 1 is occupied by the factory stock hard drive.  Number 4 is also
empty.  I have so far tried Drive Utility, Disk Warrior, zapping the PRam,
resetting the power management system, starting up in single user mode and
using fsck, Onyx, and the demo version of Drive Genius.  The disk repair
programs all indicate that the SSD is functioning normally (SMART status) and
does not need to be repaired.

I have run out of tricks, does anybody on the list have any knowledge of
upgrading to an SSD, or any suggestions?

Thank you.

Regards,
Bill Chesnutt.