Hi Bill,

Yes, we are supposed to have left that old theory that the boot drive had to be
on the first controller, and had to be in the first position on the cable.
Now you should be able to have the boot drive in No1 or No 2 or in fact any
other bay; I'm not sure why it did not work in your case.
But I experienced this once with a client's MacPro, and when we swapped the
boot drive, everything was fine, so I suggested you try swapping the drives.

I'm pleased it has worked for you. I'm also a little envious...
I'm saving for the time when I can afford to put a SSD in my MacBook Pro :(

Have fun with your speedy boot up drive ;-)

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.7.4 Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)