Hi Tom,
 Are you trying to transfer some files from one computer to the other?
If so:
1. Sharing for Everyone in System Preferences --> Sharing) to enable the two
devices to communicate ?

2. Disable the Firewall (System Preferences -> Security -. Firewall)

3. Then shutdown both computers and restart them one at a time.
They will look for connections when they boot up.

Let us know how you get on please.

Sent from Ronni's iPad