I would normally have suggested a PRAM reset, but now in OSX that doesn't
affect Network anymore, but still worth a go sometimes,…
If you're sure all cables are all working, then you can try "resetting" Network.
To do this, you do the following:-

Go to Macintosh HD - Library - Preferences.
FInd a folder called System Preferences. Drag this off to the desktop (for save
keeping incase you need to put it back if it doesn't work). It will copy it to
the Desktop (depending on your OSX version).
(Note: If the folder is only copied to the Desktop, then you'll need to move
the one in the Preferences folder into the Trash.)
Restart.
Then see if Ethernet is showing up in System Preferences. Ensure the cable does
"click" into the Port.

You may need to reset other Networking settings by removing the file.

I have found that can fix it on some machines.
See how that goes.

Kind regards
Daniel

Sent from my iPhone 4s