The cables are definitely "clicked" in all the way,..enough you actually hear
it click when you insert it.
Had a few jobs where it just wash't sitting right. You can also try jiggling
the cable slightly to see if it makes a connection.

The other thing you can try is it to set Ethernet Network manually adding in
your IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Router address.
e.g. if you use a Netgear Router is 192.168.0.1, Subnet is normally
255.255.255.0 and pick a higher IP address that other devices aren't using e.g.
192.168.0.50
Click OK and see if it gets a green dot for Ethernet and then internet works.

Could try a PRAM reset anyway,..never hurts,..lol.

And when you moved the folder to the desktop (SystemConfiguration) it
definitely moved it and didn't just make a copy of it (and left it there in
Library/Preferences folder).

Kind regards
Daniel

Sent from my iPhone 4s