Hi Jennifer

Just to jump in,...
1. Yes the AppleTV connects to your modem/router wirelessly. To get the most
out of streaming anything though, you may want to upgrade the router at some
stage so it's the faster "n" version. (the DG834G is only "g" version. Or add
on the new Apple Express for $119 which is dualband g and n. This makes a big
difference if you do want to stream photos from your computer at any stage).
2. Any movies you get, which only rent from the AppleTV (If you want to keep it
you buy it from iTunes on a computer, then stream it from the computer to the
AppleTV). Otherwise ones you rent on the AppleTV will download it first
(storing it temporarily) then play, so you don't really get the stuttering and
breaks. (Again, some of this can be caused by the modem as mentioned above, as
well as slow internet).
3. For good speeds you want internet at least 1.5MB or better. Obviously the
faster the internet the less time it takes for it to download the movie. The
slower the internet, the longer you wait for it to download (or buffer) as much
as it can before playing.
4. Download limits just affect how many movies you can download before going
over quota.

Hope that info helps

Kind regards
Daniel