Hi Jennifer,

Daniel and Carlo have given you excellent information as always.

Just to add a bit more information for you to absorb ;-)

Buying vs. Renting Movies:

Buying:
Obviously purchased content does not expire, and once downloaded will remain in
your iTunes library indefinitely—even if that content has been removed from the
iTunes Store itself.  Music content can be purchased from an iPhone or iPod
touch and will automatically transfer back to your main iTunes library the next
time you sync, and with the Apple TV 2.0, content can also be purchased on the
Apple TV and transferred back to your main iTunes library.

Renting:
Rentals on the other hand, are much more restricted, since they are transitory
by their very nature. In much the same way as a DVD rented from Blockbuster
must eventually be returned, so too must the digital rentals from the iTunes
Store.
Of course, since a digital download has no physical media that must be
returned, the solution is to just automatically expire the digital download
after the rental period has expired.

You have 30 days from the time of rental to watch your movie, and 24 hours (in
the US) or 48 hours (elsewhere) after you've started viewing to finish it. Once
the rental period expires, the movie will disappear from your iTunes library.

Once you start watching your movie, you can view the rented movie as many times
as you wish within the 24-hour (or 48-hour) window.

If you don't watch your rented movie, it will expire in 30 days and disappear
from your iTunes library. You will need to rent it again in order to watch it.

You can delete the movie prior to the expiration date if you want to make more
space on your hard drive, iPod, iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV.
However, the movie will automatically disappear from your iTunes library 24 (or
48) hours after you've begun viewing it.

On 26/06/2012, at 6:14 PM, cm wrote:

> [...]
> microwaves, or from your neighbour's WiFi devices. Also large metal objects
> or just distance can attenuate the signal. The free software iStumbler will
> show your signal strength or you can also use Airport Utility for this. If
> there is a problem, repositioning your router, sometimes even by a small
> amount can often fix it.
>
> So at the risk of you actually accepting the invitation, post back if you
> want further information.  :-)
>
> Regards,
> Carlo
>
> On 26/06/2012, at 17:53 , Daniel Kerr wrote:
>
>> Hi Jennifer
>>
>> Just to jump in,...
>> 1. Yes the AppleTV connects to your modem/router wirelessly. To get the most
>> out of streaming anything though, you may want to upgrade the router at some
>> stage so it's the faster "n" version. (the DG834G is only "g" version. Or
>> add on the new Apple Express for $119 which is dualband g and n. This makes
>> a big difference if you do want to stream photos from your computer at any
>> stage).
>> 2. Any movies you get, which only rent from the AppleTV (If you want to keep
>> it you buy it from iTunes on a computer, then stream it from the computer to
>> the AppleTV). Otherwise ones you rent on the AppleTV will download it first
>> (storing it temporarily) then play, so you don't really get the stuttering
>> and breaks. (Again, some of this can be caused by the modem as mentioned
>> above, as well as slow internet).
>> 3. For good speeds you want internet at least 1.5MB or better. Obviously the
>> faster the internet the less time it takes for it to download the movie. The
>> slower the internet, the longer you wait for it to download (or buffer) as
>> much as it can before playing.
>> 4. Download limits just affect how many movies you can download before going
>> over quota.
>>
>> Hope that info helps
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Daniel
>> ---
>> Daniel Kerr
>> MacWizardry
>>
>> Phone: 0414 795 960
>> Email: <daniel AT macwizardry.com.au>
>> Web:   <http://www.macwizardry.com.au>
>>

>> **For everything Apple**
>>
>> On 26/06/2012, at 5:46 PM, Jennifer Lefroy wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Carlo,  Thank you very much for taking pity and for your information.
>>> I am hoping you don't regret inviting me to post back for clarification as
>>> I have a number of questions! I should clarify that our main interest is
>>> to rent films from itunes.
>>>
>>> 1.  does the apple TV connect to the computer via the router unlike Iview
>>> through the lap top where there is a TV computer cable connection?
>>> 2. Does the film stream to the Apple TV and store to there to be played in
>>> its entirety.  (I note in some videos etc there is "stuttering" and breaks.)
>>> 3. Do I need to check download speeds and if so what speed do I need?
>>> 4. Is there anything other than download total I need to check with our