Hi Rosemary,

Thanks for your detailed reply, helps a lot in solving problems to give as much
detail as possible.
First thing I want you to do is STOP Spotlight from Indexing Time Machine
Backup Volumes & External Drives.

Please read my reply below fully.

> 13) failed full message below  Says Event store UUIDs don't match for
> volume, spotlight problem

This is not an error message. This simply indicates that what's on your
internal HD may not match the hidden "File System Event Database" that OSX
keeps on each disk, and TM normally uses to see what's been changed since the
last backup and needs to be copied. Since it is "untrustable," TM must examine
every directory (folder) on your system, and compare it to your backups,
instead. This is, of course, a lengthy procedure.

NOTE: This is usually caused by an improper shutdown, but can be the result of
other things, too. And once it occurs, the whole process must be repeated for
each unsuccessful backup attempt until one completes normally.
So, if at all possible, let it run.

What I want you to do first though is:
1. First, exclude your TM disk/partition from any anti-virus scanning.
2. Exclude Time Machine from Spotlight, via System Preferences > Spotlight >
Privacy.

Instructions How To: Stop Spotlight from Indexing Time Machine Backup Volumes &
External Drives:

The default behaviour for Spotlight is to start indexing any drive as soon as
it’s connected to a Mac, a task that can take a very long time with larger
volumes. The problem is that for larger external backup drives and Time Machine
volumes, you don’t necessarily want it indexed by Spotlight. This is
particularly true if the drive gets used on multiple machines, where indexing
on each Mac isn’t necessary.

The solution is simple enough, the same method used to exclude something from
Spotlight can also be used to stop Spotlight from indexing a Time Machine drive
or other external volume:

1. Connect the volume you want excluded to the Mac, even if Spotlight is
currently indexing
2. Launch “System Preferences” and click on “Spotlight” followed by the
‘Privacy’ tab
3. Drag the drives icon into the Privacy window

Even if the drive is currently being indexed by Spotlight, this will cease the
indexing process and prevent the drive from being reindexed again on that Mac.
You’ll have to redo this process on each Mac that the drive is connected to.

If a drive is removed from the privacy list, it will automatically start a
rebuild of the Spotlight index for that volume, however.

If that doesn't help, note the time one of these backups starts, then use the
Console app (in your Applications/Utilities folder) to see if there are other
messages indicating a conflict with your backups.

When it starts, click Show Log List in the toolbar, then navigate in the
sidebar that opens up to your system.log and select it. Navigate to the
Starting standard backup message that you noted above, then see what follows
that might indicate some sort of error, failure, termination, exit, etc. (many
of the messages there are info for developers, etc.). If in doubt post (a
reasonable amount of) the log here.

If you haven't had a problem since excluding it from Spotlight, that was likely
the problem.
Just why it conflicts with TM so badly for a few users, but not most of us, is
a mystery.

Since you had to force power-off, yes, you'll get the UUID problem and TM will
do a deep traversal.
There's no way around that: it's the only way TM can be sure that all the
changes made since your last backup will be saved this time.

It will take a long time to do the first backup after not being able to backup
for so long.

Post back how you get on please.