Hi Brian

This shows the list of fonts installed by Office 2011.
<http://www.officeformachelp.com/office/font-management/>
You could try removing those first (to the desktop perhaps) then see how it
goes. It will normally rebuild the Fonts it needs as it goes (as it does with
Preferences as well).
May be a first point to start with.

Preferences and Fonts in your Library can also be "temporarily" removed to the
Desktop as well to see how goes.

(To get to your own Library hold down Option then from the Finder go to the Go
Menu and choose "Library" (Will have a picture of a house beside it).

In your Library you'll see Fonts (and can remove some or all to see how goes).
Then can also check Preferences and remove
com.microsoft.office.plist and com.microsoft.office.setupassistant.plist

A few things to start with anyway.

Kind regards
Daniel

Sent from my iPhone 4s