Hi Ronni

Thanks for your help.

Mail now seems to be working as per the book (and to expectations).  The
squiggles and occasional bang had stopped by mid-afternoon.  I could not prove
any mail server or internet problem, but found several settings in Mail had got
out of kilter.

 In no particular order:
1. I now understand that the Snow Leopard Mail activity gear wheel is not a
feature in Mountain Lion.
2. I used Mail > Window > Activity to monitor polling of mail servers etc.
This is now working impeccably at the 5 minute setting I use.  It starts 5
minutes from an initial poll when the iMac is woken from sleep.   I feel that
earlier today when it indicated a mailbox was offline (squiggled) it was not
giving the initial poll and not doing subsequent polls.  If I forced a "get new
messages" poll it then worked until I left the iMac and it went to sleep again.
3. I do have System Preferences > Energy Saver "Wake for network access"
selected.   I don't think I receive mail when Mac is asleep - but not certain
about this.
4. Mail is listed (in System Preferences) to open automatically when I log in.
5. Sometime today (well after the squiggle problem was noted over the weekend)
I found that the mail composing box showed two "from" boxes: one normal and one
showing the wrong account.  The normal box showed a choice of my 3 normal
accounts (1 iiNet, 2 gmail), the second box showed 2 iinet, both "offline", as
well as 2 gmail).  The second iiNet account was one cancelled 18 months ago -
it does not appear in preferences.  Mail menu checks showed all 3 real
mailboxes were "online".
6. I set preferences to select my iiNet mail as default, and also checked
preferences for each outgoing mail server account to be the same as the
incoming mail address, and also checked the box to "use only this server" for
each account.
7. I had to enter my password for the outgoing iiNet email.  Didn't test the
gmail accounts.
8. I have been using mail on my iPad for about 2 weeks, using the same
mailboxes as on the iMac.  (Doubling messages received.)  Perhaps this
contributed to the problem.

The problems may point to a corrupt plist.  I didn't touch because I don't know
what to do about it.  A Restart or two and re-checking Mail and System
preferences have at least got mail working.

Cheers
Alan