Hi Alan,

Just quickly as still working with Clients.
I'm not sure what problems you are still having from your email below :(

>> 5. Sometime today (well after the squiggle problem was noted over the
>> weekend) I found that the mail composing box showed two "from" boxes: one
>> normal and one showing the wrong account.  The normal box showed a choice of
>> my 3 normal accounts (1 iiNet, 2 gmail), the second box showed 2 iinet, both
>> "offline", as well as 2 gmail).  The second iiNet account was one cancelled
>> 18 months ago - it does not appear in preferences.  Mail menu checks showed
>> all 3 real mailboxes were "online".

If I'm understanding you correctly:
Go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts - Account Information - Outgoing Mail
Server: click on the button (little arrows), scroll to "Edit SMTP Server List".
Select the one that for the account that is no longer used
Click the (-) to delete

Post back if I have misinterpreted and that is not the problem you are
experiencing :)