Hi Robert,

On 31/08/2012, at 1:48 PM, Robert Miller-Eves <bobme...@highway1.com.au> wrote:

> Since upgrading to Mountain Lion about three weeks ago I've experienced some
> erratic behaviour (The OS-not Me!)

I'm pleased it is only the iMac showing erratic behaviour ;-)

> Programmes can be slow to open and close,Safari occasionally tells me I'm not
> internet connected and yet I'll be downloading a file via another programme.

What program were you using to download a file when Safari says you are not
connected?

> I recently installed a new  Belkin router and my Server helped me to set it
> up correctly. When Safari has its tantrum I have to resort to turning off the
> power to the router,leave it for 10 mins and then restart. This solves the
> problem temporarily.
> I've also purchased and installed an Apple TV3 linked to my (also newly
> purchased) Sony Bravia TV.  Home sharing is erratic and I am frequently
> having to turn off home sharing and reconnect it.

It does sound Network related. How are you connecting... via Ethernet or
Wireless?
Many people complain their computer is slow, when really it is their Internet
Connection that is slow.
What are your Network settings? PPoE DSL or PPoA

Do you have the setting "Stay Connected" selected in your Router?

Robert, post your Router and Network settings please, as not knowing how you
have your Router and Network setup makes it difficult to suggest what might be
wrong.

> I wonder if any "Wammugers" could be experiencing the same frustrations and
> if there are any cures.

I have not had any problems with Mountain Lion, once Spotlight finished
indexing the Hard Drive, I've found Mountain Lion faster than Lion.
So what is causing the erratic behaviour on your Mountain Lion install??
Are you sure Spotlight has finished indexing? You can click on the Spotlight
icon in the main menu bar to check on progress if it is indexing.
How Much RAM (memory) do you have installed?
How much free space on your Hard Drive?
Do you have any incompatible Apps that could be causing conflicts?
The best way to check your applications is of course to run them and check to
see if any unusual behaviour occurs.
If things don’t look quite right, open up Activity Monitor from the
Applications > Utilities folder and track down the errant app or process to see
what it’s CPU usage is like. You should soon be able to tell if things aren’t
quite working as normal.

Do you have a lot of 'unused' Applications open and perhaps running in the
background? If so Quit some to see if that helps.
Is your Desktop clean? Doesn't have heaps of files on it.

> HOPEFUL!
There's always "Hope"....

> iMac 3.2 Ghz Intel Core i3

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.8.1 Mountain Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)