Hi Robert,  I think you meant to send your reply to WAMUG Mailing list, as
"offlist" to my email address is a consult and a charge of $30.
So I will reply to it "Onlist" to WAMUG.

You have cut off the rest of my email and haven't replied to the other
questions I asked?
Without being able to physically 'see' your computer and your setup; trying to
isolate whether your problems are Network related or System related is
difficult and we need to ask questions.

How Much RAM (memory) do you have installed? (Check by going to the Apple
symbol in Menu Bar & 'About this Mac' -Memory ?)

How much free space on your Hard Drive? (Click once on the icon for your hard
drive to select it, then a) From the "File" menu, choose "Get Info" or b)
right-click (control-click) on the icon and choosing "Get Info" - Available:
xxx.xx GB?

Do you have any incompatible Apps that could be causing conflicts?
The best way to check your applications is of course to run them and check to
see if any unusual behaviour occurs.
If things don’t look quite right, open up -  Activity Monitor from the
Applications > Utilities folder and track down the errant app or process to see
what it’s CPU usage is like. You should soon be able to tell if things aren’t
quite working as normal.

Do you have a lot of 'unused' Applications open and perhaps running in the
background?  If so Quit some to see if that helps.
Is your Desktop clean? Doesn't have heaps of files on it.
----
OK, I'll try to reply to what you have answered below:
I notice by your email address your ISP was Highway1, which is now Zetta.

1. Do you have a ADSL 'Line filter' connected between the phone line access
point(Wall Jack) and the Modem? (The filter is the first connection into the
telephone wall socket).
Your speed can be slowed by line noise due to unfiltered devices. The ADSL
modem does not need a Telephone line filter. But every other service connected
to your telephone line needs to have a Telephone line filter installed (i.e.
Phone, Fax, Alarm, Foxtel, EFTPOS).

2. What program were you using to download a file when Safari says you are not
connected?
>> U Torrent

Does Safari give you this message ONLY when you are downloading using U Torrent?
Because your Internet Provider has mentioned your connection speed is 'average'
for your location (3KM from centre).
I would suggest perhaps your connection is not fast enough or stable enough to
be using both a Web Browser & having a Torrent downloading at the same time.

3. Many people complain their computer is slow, when really it is their
Internet Connection that is slow. My Internet provider tells me that they've
checked out my connection speed and it is average for my location (About 3km
from centre)

What Speed did they say you should be receiving?
What speed are you receiving?

<http://www.zetta.net.au/support/broadband-speed-test/>

4.What are your Network settings? PPPoE DSL or PPPoA  DSL
Yes DSL; but I meant your Network Settings in your Modem/Router?

I've checked Zetta and the configuration they recommend is:
Encapsulation:  PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet)
Multiplexing Method:  LLC-Based
VPI: 8
VCI: 35
IP Address: Auto Assigned
DNS:  Auto Assigned

Highway1 was PPPoA  &  LLC
I find using PPP0A & LLC-Based is normally slower than using PPPoA but DON'T
change any settings if  Zetta set this Modem/Router up for you. I had not heard
of Zetta until I did a search this morning to see who took over Highway1.

5. Belkin N+ Wireless Modem Router Model; F5D8635-4v1

> TCP/IP  -  IPv4 Address:  192.168.2.7 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Router:
> 192.168.2.1 Configure IPv6: Automatically
> DNS Servers: (Greyed out) 192.168.2.1

You can login to your Belkin Modem to check settings by opening Safari and
typing 192.168.2.1 in the Address Bar.
The Belkin does not ship with a password (unless anyone has changed this), just
click submit.
Your Belkin Manual will explain everything for you.
>> Do you have the setting "Stay Connected" selected in your Router? I Don't
>> know how to do that!

The Home page is the first page you will see when you access Advanced User
Interface by typing 192.168.2.1 and login as above.
The home page shows you a quick view of the Router’s status and settings . All
advanced setup pages can be reached from this page.

In the left panel there should be  'Internet WAN' which shows your Modem-Router
Setup - connection
Look for "Disconnect after x minutes of no activity" – make sure this is NOT
selected & has '0'(not checked, unless you specifically want the modem to
disconnect after x number of minutes).
If you make any changes:
Click “Apply Changes” to save and activate your settings.
Any new settings will not be saved unless your click “Apply Changes”.

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.8.1 Mountain Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)