Hi Brian

You have a few choices,..

Mountain Lion 10.8 Client (standard) is $20.99, can be downloaded from the Mac
App Store
<http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/os-x-mountain-lion/id537386512?mt=12>

Then if you really want OSX Server you can download it (after getting 10.8)
which is another $20.99, which will then give you OSX 10.8 Server.
<http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/os-x-server/id537441259?mt=12>

Quicktime doesn't have an "upgrade" per say, as it's built into the OS. 10.1
with 10.7.4 (Lion) and 10.2 with 10.8.1 (Mountain Lion), so unless something
has changed in there…..
As you say,..seeing as others play, then may be something within that movie.
Trying to find the links to the things to test and remove, but don't have them
at hand at the moment…will see if I can turn it up

Kind regards
Daniel
---
Daniel Kerr