Good afternoon all.

I have a friend in deep trouble.  This week saw the 1st anniversary of the
passing of her husband of 54 years and her 80th birthday, she is severely
arthritic, so much so that she can only hold the mouse between what were her
hands and she is wheelchair bound so much her time is spent at her beloved iMac
(about a 2005 or 2006 G5 model.)

A couple of days ago she rang me to say that her iMac was running very slow and
generally misbehaving, I went straight down and it was obvious that the HD was
failing so I took it out to Macs 4U in the
hope that the data could be recovered before it failed altogether.
Un-fortunately it failed before much of her e-mail data could be recovered, the
drive was replaced and returned to her thinking that her other files would be
still on her external back-up drive.  This proved not to be the case, altho the
indicator light was on and showing usual flickering when data is being
interrogated she told me that it had not been coming up on the screen for some
considerable time.

I brought it home with me and on inspection I found that it is a Lacie 320GB
FireWire 400 drive with two 160GB WD hard drives inside neither of which made
any noise at all.

I removed them from the case and installed them, one at a time, in a FireWire
case of my own and connected it to my wife's iMac G5.  They both made all the
appropriate start up noise and were obviously running OK but neither would
mount.  After researching the problem on the WWW and trying a couple of things
one eventually appeared in Disk Utilities but the subordinate disk image was
greyed out,  I tried the disk repair option but goth the following result:

Verify and Repair volume “Back Up”
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Invalid number of allocation blocks
Volume check failed.

Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

I tried TechTools Pro 6 Data Recovery which found, on the visible one, hundreds
of files, many of them are multiple duplicated.  I have only been able to
recover a few of them in tact, the rest of them are Aliases especially the
AppleWorks files.

Can anyone out there please advise me if there is anything else I could do to
get the second one to mount and or recover more files.

Regards,

Adrian

adrianske...@me.com