Hi Ronni

Oh dear, so its not a general Apple problem!   I'm not sure of the action you
are leading me through.  And I'm not sure what I did, but Notes and Mail now
seems to work!

Before I emailed WAMUG for help I had Reset the iPad.  While in Notes I held
the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons down until the Apple logo appeared, then
released the buttons.  (No red slider.)  The screen did not go blank but the
Apple logo remained displayed, then the unlock slider appeared.   I did not do
a "Restart" as defined in the User Guide prior to these actions.

Using your sequence below I did not get a red slider at step 3 (is this for the
case with no App launched?) and the rest followed the outcomes as above.

On next attempt, still within Notes, at Step 5 I held the Home and Sleep/Wake
buttons down for a few seconds longer until the Apple logo disappeared and I
got a black screen.  This  seemed to power off the iPad completely.  It did not
turn on automatically at Step 6.  After 5-10 minutes I turned on the iPad with
the Sleep/Wake button.  Then did Step 7 - with success!

I think I applied some combination of Reset and Restart.

Cheers
Alan