Hi Stephen,

When you connected your Time Machine backup to your New iMac and opened Time
Machine in System Preferences you would have been given the choice to  "reuse
the back up".

If you chose "Reuse Backup", Time Machine will "add on" to the existing set of
backups. As the message says, then the original Mac cannot continue to back up
to the same set of backups.

However, the first backup may still be a full backup of the new Mac, not an
incremental one.

Or, Time Machine may say it's going to do a full backup (and delete a lot of
old backups if necessary), and then appear to be backing-up very, very slowly.
After a long time, when it doesn't seem anywhere near done, it may complete
normally, having actually done only an incremental backup. Just why it does
that is not clear.

How did you delete the backups you mention below?

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)