On 19/08/2013, at 2:41 PM, David Noel <lis...@aoi.com.au> wrote:

> -- Hi, can anyone help with this? I have been using Bento quite widely on my
> iMac, and have about 20 libraries up, including a Chinese-English pinyin
> (romanization) and character store. Now my wife and I are due to go on a
> 'Silk Route' trip through Central Asia, Istanbul to Beijing.
>
> -- This trip we thought we would take my wife's iPad instead of my MacBook,
> so I downloaded Bento on the iPad, after updating to the latest iOS (also
> updated to the latest version of Bento on the iMac). I would like to transfer
> (sync) the Chinese library from the iMac onto the iPad. This is certainly
> possible with the Sync command from iMac Bento.
>
> 1). The main problem is, that with the Sync command, no mobile devices show
> up as the target for the Sync. Is this because my wife's iPad has her details
> (email address etc) as the user, and if so, how can I get round this? I have
> both devices side by side, the iMac connected to the router by Ethernet, the
> iPad by wireless.
>
> -- Some of the other problems will be because I am a complete novice with the
> iPad, and have had to be shown how to switch on and off, alter volume levels
> etc. Some questions:
>
> 2). If I can run the Sync successfully, will it transfer the whole Bento
> database (all libraries), or only the library open at the time of syncing?
>
> 3). If the library/database is synced, how do I type Chinese pinyin into,
> say, the Search box? On the iMac, I choose 'Pinyin - Simplified' on the Input
> Source menu or by a keyboard shortcut (Command-Space). I don't know how to
> access either of these on the iPad.
>
> Any suggestions, or tips on the concept of taking an iPad to Central Asia,
> much appreciated.
>
> David Noel
> 2013 Aug 19

Since Ronni has answered question 1 for you, I'll try to help with 2 & 3.

2) With Bento 4 on the iPad, the synchronisation between desktop and iPad is
quite complete. You will see a record-for-record, layout-for-layout copy of
your desktop libararies on your iPad.

3) Easy. First go to Settings on your iPad, then go to General > Keyboard. You
will see a setting labelled "Keyboards       >". Choose this then tap "Add New
Keyboard". You will then see a comprehensive list of alternative keyboards. At
about position 8 on this list you will see "Chinese  - Simplfied (Pinyan)".
Select this adn it wil lbe added to your list of available keyboards.

Exit out of Settings. Now, whenever the keyboard appears at the bottom of the
screen, you will see a new button, at the left of the spacebar, containing a
"World" icon. Tap this and the keyboard will change to the Chinese one. Note
that if you have more than two keyboards assigned this button cycles between
all of them.

As for using the Chinese keyboard - I'm afraid I'll have to leave that up to
you. My Chinese language powers are somewhat underdeveloped. Rest assured,
however, that it works fine in Bento.

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948